What’s going on in the Viatorian Community Archives for the United States Province
St. Thomas More Catholic Community in Henderson, NV is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. In 1986, the Diocese of Reno-Las Vegas established the parish under the name of St. Thomas More. Since 1983, it was previously known as the Mission of St. Peter’s.
At the end of August, the Province Center had a visitor for three days from one of our early foreign missions — Cheng Sung (aka Jones) from Taiwan. Jones was a former student of Fr. Simon Lefebvre at Wei Tao (St. Viator) High School in Taichung back in 1967 – 1971.
He came to the United States to visit Fr. Lee, as he and his classmates called him, as well as research in the Viatorian Community Archives about the mission in Taiwan.
Read more about his visit here.
Br. William Sharp, CSV, passed away in August of 1939 at the age of 21. For 77 years, the Viatorian Community Archives never had a photo of him — until now — when Fr. Charlie Bolser, CSV, met Br. Sharp’s sister at the Benedictine Monastery in Chicago.
Sharp’s sister, Sr. Ann Sharp, OSB, age 95, shared fond stories and photographs of her older brother with Eileen Daday, Director of Public Relations and Communications for the Viatorians.
We are grateful to get to know Br. Bill through Sr. Ann’s memories.
Read and see more photos here.
Click on each photo to enlarge.
A photo montage celebrating the life of
Fr. Kenneth E. Yarno, CSV
In preparation for this year’s Provincial Assembly, a new exhibit is on display at the Province Center in Arlington Heights. The photos showcase the activities from the assembly held last year in Bourbonnais — where the Viatorians began ministering in the United States 150 years ago.
Both St. George and Maternity BVM churches in Bourbonnais hosted the Viatorians with Mass, an associate commitment/re-commitment ceremony and a jubilarian celebration of religious life and priesthood. Meetings, presentations and discussions on the topic of ‘discipleship’ were held in the hotel conference rooms.
Group photos of Viatorians that attended from the three regions — Arlington Heights-Chicago, Bourbonnais-Kankakee and Henderson-Las Vegas — are also on display.
This year’s Provincial Assembly will be held in Arlington Heights from Jun. 21-23.
Fr. Charlie Bolser, CSV, donated the book titled Images of America: Old Irving Park to the Viatorian Community Archives last week.
Published by Arcadia Publishing in 2013, this book series celebrates the history of neighborhoods, towns and cities across the country through the use of archival photographs.
St. Viator Church in Chicago is featured in 3 photographs on pp. 52-53.
If you see anything mentioning the Viatorians, please pass it along to the archives. Thanks so much.
A photo montage celebrating the life of
Fr. Robert E. Erickson, CSV,
who was buried on
Sat. Jan. 23, 2016
Click on any image to enlarge
Read more about the life and ministry of Fr. Erickson in his obit.
A new year features a new exhibit at the Province Center in Arlington Heights.
In 2015, the Viatorian Community leadership came full circle — and moved home — back to the berceau in Vourles, France. Vourles is located about 300 miles southeast of Paris and about 10 miles southwest of Lyons, the second largest city in France. The move establishes the office of the Superior General and his council in the city where Fr. Louis Querbes ministered, founded the Clerics of St. Viator and is buried.
In 1832, Fr. Querbes acquired a large three-story house, with a yard, garden and several outbuildings. The house became the berceau or cradle of the Clerics of St. Viator. It was the heart of the new community for the formation of the religious and the young people. It remained the headquarters of the community until 1895.
Over the years, the Viatorian headquarters also has been located in Oullins and Paris in France, Aerschot and Brussels in Belgium, and Coteau-du-Lac in the Province of Quebec, Canada. Since 1962, the General Direction has been based in Rome.
On Sept. 1, 2015 – the anniversary of the death of Fr. Querbes – the new headquarters was dedicated in Vourles. Fr. Alain Ambeault, CSV, Superior General, addressed the crowd, which included Cardinal Phillipe Barbarin, Archbishop of Lyons, as well as members of the General Council, the international provincials, the superior of the delegation of France and Viatorians from throughout the region, who then also visited Querbes’ grave.
Thanks to Fr. Alain Ambeault and Br. Carlos Ernesto Florez for providing the photographs.
A presepio is an Italian Nativity scene where the Holy Family is the centerpiece, while also bringing to life a bustling Neapolitan village during the Renaissance. The image here is exhibited at the Viatorian Province Center in Arlington Heights, however the original 3D presepio is on display every year at Maternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish in Bourbonnais, IL.
Fr. Richard J. Pighini, CSV, pastor at Maternity BVM Church has been collecting individual pieces for the presepio from Naples, Italy for the past 10 years. He proudly sets up the display on the altar to Mary after the 4th Sunday of Advent – each year a little differently.
Be sure to stop in to see it in person this Christmas season to truly understand the amount of detailed work that is involved in such an elaborate Nativity scene.